Thursday, November 26, 2009

What I feel grateful for Thanksgiving...

Since it is Thanksgiving I might as well diverge a little bit and write about what I am thankful for for 2009.


I still remember this time last year I was sitting with a group of beggars and volunteers in a church, praying to God and enjoying turkeys, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie - that was my first real American Thanksgiving dinner, and I was grateful for spending it cooking for the poor and the homeless, listening to their sad stories, soothing their tortured hearts, and extending gratitude for the extravagant food and love. This Thanksgiving I'm sitting alone at my desk - there is even no turkey - but I can feel more joy and gratitude.





I am thankful - for all the difficulties that almost devastated me this fall, for my family, friends and professors who've been supporting me with great patience, for the bumpy journey of learning and navigating social media (my newly found passion), and for the most amazing serendipity of cause marketing and corporate philanthropy.


When I felt I could no longer sustain the pain I was told "this too shall pass" by Steven Gross, founder of Project Joy at Life Is Good; when I was mired in despair and almost lost hope I was told to make a wish to the Santa Claus at Macy's; when I was indulging in my own miseries I was told there were angels expecting merely a doll or sweater for the Christmas; when I was a little crushed by negativity and pessimism the movie "My Sister's Keeper" told me how cancer patients were fighting for their happiness and spreading their optimistic spirit... when I first embarked upon the journey of exploring causes and philanthropy, it was like an outlet for my pain and grief. But more and more I realize how wonderful it is to align brands with causes. If I were a brand I've become stronger, more optimistic, loving and responsible through learning all the little, cute, warm stories... what about for other brands and businesses? I feel cause is no longer just the embodiment of CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) - cause actually helps a business understand the meaning of "love" "humanity" and "responsibility"; cause helps a brand connect to its customers, employees and the community, but more importantly, it helps it connect to its core value, its significance, its mission and unfinished tasks.


Just like the words of wisdom from the Life Is Good Book
Takers may eat well, but givers sleep well.
Take your love everywhere you go.
I am proud of spreading the message: With Love, Here for Good. I am thankful for relearning myself through participating in cause. What about you? What are you thankful for?










No comments:

Post a Comment