Saturday, November 14, 2009

Big Boston Warm Up - A Practical Cause during Down Economy

Lands' End is offering 20% off purchase in exchange for donation of a used coat from customers shopping at local Sears. This campaign - Big Boston Warm Up - embodies one of the most engaging cause branding events during the holiday season.
The initiative started at Boston but is expanding nationwide. Till this writing 9,110 coats have been donated over the country, and specifically in Boston, 1,964 individuals have received coats among the 7,681 homeless. The cause marketing campaign still has a long way to go, but its impact is not to be underestimated, especially during this enduring economic downturn.


Though the 2009 Giving in Numbers Report, recently released by the Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy (CECP), reported good news - that corporate giving is on the rise despite downward profits amidst the economic turmoil. But how about every individual consumer who has the best intention to give but sank into a predicament due to a much tighter budget for the holiday season? Alison DaSilva, cause branding for Cone Inc. sharply captures the dilemma. She thinks it's a real win for consumers if marketers "can find a way to combine donation with a product purchase."

It is true. At least for me. When I was writing a letter to Santa Claus for Macy's 2009 Believe Campaign directing funds for Make-A-Wish Foundation, I was virtually racking my brains for the grandest yet realistic wishes... When I browsed JCPenney's Web site desiring so much to adopt an angel, only to realize I am not entitled to donate the clothes or dolls with my parents' financial support. But for Lands' End's offer - I need to buy a warm coat to get through the harsh Boston winter anyway, why wouldn't I save 20% off at Lands' End and at the same time do a good deed?

What's more -
  • Though Big Boston Warm Up Web site, for the first time I learned about the demographics of the homeless around the U.S. and the reasons behind their stories - and in an interactive way.
  • The campaign is online and offline - I accidentally walked past Prudential Center at Boylston Plaza and amazed at hundreds of life-sized figures of people installed by Lands' End and local coalition for the homeless - later I learned every figure stands for 10 homeless in Boston.
  • I can even track my old coat through the Web site through its distribution.
  • The entire Web site of Big Boston Warm Up is capturing, esp. the customized video. I put my name in one of the boxes and I was featured... I watched one scene where a worn-out woman clutches a coat with my name stitched on it... I couldn't help rummaging through my closet and visualizing the smile from a real person.
From a professional standpoint, Cone Inc. has summarized the gists that every cause marketing/branding campaign should incorporate:
  • Demonstrate tangible impact. Big Warm Up's goal is clear enough - with "Give a Coat, Warm a Heart!" as its tagline.
  • Tap Emotion. A combination of interactive Web sites, customized videos, and offline installation represents the best practice of striking a cord with do-gooders.
  • Provide value to contributors. Big Warm Up's value is two-fold - the monetary value of 20% off and the psychology value of spreading warmth and kindness.
  • Make it social. Those who get to the Web site can pass the message around through Facebook, email, Twitter and MySpace/Blog. The social aspect is a bonus offered by new media and Lands' End obviously has followed the trend.
So, for businesses small and large, this cause marketing case by Lands' End is worth emulating - customers like me appreciate the physical and psychological values it offers and the corporation itself earn credits by aligning its goal to the good of the community. Now I am running to my closet to get an old coat... and searching for more practices like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment